Thursday, September 15, 2011

It's Only Hair

My hair has started to come out.  As I sat holding a handful of hair I began to cry.  Some may say, "It's only hair, it will grow back," and while this is true in the grand scheme of things,  it is still difficult to go through.  A woman's hair means a lot to her.  That is why we spend so much time, energy, and money cutting, coloring, and styling it.   The Bible even says that a woman's long hair is her glory. (1 Corinthians 11:15)  Hair gives us a sense of femininity. When a chemo patient loses their hair, it is a constant reminder of what they are going through and a public sign that something is wrong.  Thankfully, there are wigs, hats, scarves, and turbans to help women cope with losing their hair.  There is a lady in Williamsburg called the Hat Trader.  She is a cancer survivor who has dozens of wigs and hats that she loans out to cancer patients.  I went to see her and she found a wig for me that I like.  She is truly a special lady and a great source of help and comfort to many in their time of need.  I plan to have my hair cut very short in the next few days.  I believe it will be freeing to go ahead and mostly finish the job instead of just waiting for the rest to come out.  I also know that my true identity is in Christ and that true beauty comes from within. 

1 Peter 3:3-4

3 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. 4 Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.

2 comments:

  1. I cried when I read this, Kelly. You are so beautiful, inside and out. I love you and I am praying for you. Thanks for sharing your journey.
    Big hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Amelia. I love you too.

    ReplyDelete