Monday, August 22, 2011

The Diagnosis

For those of you who do not know how my journey came to be:
On July 7th I had surgery to remove a 15cm mass on my right ovary. I was also going to have an elected hysterectomy. The Dr. did not think it was anything to worry about based on blood tests and ultra sound. Well, the surgery that was supposed to take 2-2 1/2 hours ended up taking 6 1/2 hours because I had so much endometriosis everything was kind of stuck all together. They had the mass tested while they were operating and said that it had some cancer in it, she then proceeded to remove everything (ovaries, tubes, uterus, some lymph nodes and part of the cervix, it took a long time to carefully cut out everything. It was all done laproscopic so they had me in an inverted position called Trendelenburg's position. This caused my arms to be in a T position which caused a Brachial Plexus Injury. Which basically means a pulled or strained nerve in my shoulder. When I woke up my arms were in pain and my hands were numb and I could not move my right arm without help. My left arm was better pretty soon however my right arm is still not completely recovered, all though it has improved greatly in the 6 1/2 weeks since my surgery.  At my two week follow-up appointment, the doctor went over the results of the biopsies taken during surgery with me. The cancer was contained in the mass and everything else tested was negative. She diagnosed the cancer that was removed from me as Endometrial Carcinoma of the ovary Stage 1C grade 2 and recommended chemo as a preventative measure.  I will be receiving 6 rounds of Carbo/Taxol given once every three weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment